Welcome to First Grade
We believe in working together to help our students be the best they can be!
- Spelling will focus on short vowels and consonant blends
- Writing skills will focus on capital letters, complete ideas and punctuation within 3 sentences.
- Nouns and Adjectives
- My school and community= good citizens, rights, rules, laws, government leaders, symbols of USA
- Looking at our World= parts of a map and globes, land, water, continents, oceans, reduce, reuse, recycle
- Traditions We Share= sharing cultures, similarities and differences between families, and celebrations, Folktales and fables
- How Scientist Work= using the 5 senses, inquiry skills, science tools
- Technology Around Us= how engineers work, how to solve a problem, what material make up objects, natural vs man made material
- Matter= observe objects, measure temperature, heating a cooling changes matter
- Forces and Energy= types of energy, magnets, types of motion and how it can be changes
- Place value for hundreds, tens, and ones.
- Greater than, less than, or equal too.
- Word problems and multi-step problems
- Addition Strategies like; using pictures, making 10, count up, add in any order, doubles, doubles plus 1, doubles minus 1
- Subtraction strategies like; using pictures, subtract to compare, count back, think addition to subtract
- Money= recognizing and counting groups of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters
- Spelling will focus on r-controlled vowels, special endings _s and _ing, long vowels, and digraphs.
- Writing skills will focus on capital letters, complete ideas and punctuation within 6 sentences.
- Verbs and Adverbs
- Traditions We Share continued…
- Our Present and Past= measuring time, history, American heroes and inventors, life/technology then and now
- Work in the Community= needs, wants, goods, services, buying, selling, spending, saving, and jobs people do
- Earth’s Resources = what is soil, products made from natural resources like cotton, wood, rocks, and soil, reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Weather and Seasons= tools to observe weather, different seasons
- Objects in the sky= stars, sun, moon, and how they change throughout the day/cycle
- Living and Non-Living Things= plants, animals, and their environments
- Animals= similarities and differences, different groups, and animal life cycles
- Plants= parts of a plant, how are plants different
- Counting forward and backward from 0-120
- Skip counting by twos, fives, and tens from 0-120
- Fact families and equal expression
- 2D shapes and 3D shapes
- Fractions= equal & unequal parts, halves, and fourths
- Measurement= compare and explore length
- Time= to the hour and half hour
- Graphing= picture & bar graphs, and tally charts
- Financial literacy (spending, saving, and giving to charity)
Student Parent Handbook states that no changes can be made in dismissal after 2:45pm. We also ask that changes must be in writing.
Four Dismissal Areas:
- Sidewalk pick up
- at the playground by the Library and First Grade building
- student must be picked up by parent or older sibling
- Car Pick Up
- Bus Rider
- Youth Center